The Savvy IMG

Become a Cardiologist in the UK: A comprehensive guide for IMGs

Table of Contents


Cardiology has always been an exciting and popular field of medicine. From preventive measures to interventional treatments, there’s an area of interest for all types of aspiring Cardiologists.

Whether you have already trained in Cardiology overseas, or you are interested in entering Cardiology training in the UK, this comprehensive guide will discuss your options for a clinical career in this specialty in the UK.

Be aware that entering UK Cardiology training is highly competitive, however, with hard work and a clear strategy, it is certainly possible for an IMG to get a place in the UK Cardiology residency programme. In fact, at the time of publication, 17% of Cardiology residents in the UK are IMGs!

The steps to work in the UK

These are the general steps for an IMG to work in the UK as a Cardiologist:

  1. Understand the UK Cardiology training pathway
  2. Determine your long-term goal
  3. Get registered with the GMC
  4. Find a suitable job
  5. Obtain a work visa
  6. Start work

It is possible to do steps 2 & 3 simultaneously depending on the type of job. It is also possible to interchange steps 2 and 3 by finding a job first, and obtaining GMC registration after you’ve received a job offer as long as the employer agrees to this in advance.

We also have a short course where we explain how it is possible to get into UK training in 2 years time. Enrol now for free.

The UK Cardiology training pathway

Whether you plan to enter the UK training pathway or not, it’s important to understand the pathway so you have an idea of what it takes to become a recognised UK Consultant Cardiologist.

Those entering UK training from 2021 will now need to train in both Cardiology and General Internal Medicine (GIM). This training is 5 years long, however, to start the combined Cardiology/GIM training, you must have a minimum of 5 years of postgraduate clinical experience plus full MRCP.

Related external site: FAQs about the new IMT curriculum

For UK doctors, this consists of the following:

  • 2 years UK Foundation Programme PLUS
  • Core training (ONE of the following programmes):
    • 3 years Internal Medicine (previously 2 years Core Medicine) + MRCP* OR
    • 4 years Acute Medicine + MRCP

For IMGs, it can look a little different. We’ll go into the possible alternatives a bit later.

*Membership of the Royal Colleges of Physicians

Overview of the UK Cardiology training pathway

CCT pathway for UK Grads

Exams & exit qualifications

There are currently no exit exams for Cardiology/GIM training after MRCP. Once you complete the 5-year specialist training, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT). This is used to gain entry to the GMC Specialist Register and be recognised as a Consultant Cardiologist. Once on the GMC Specialist Register, you can only apply for permanent Cardiology Consultant jobs.

Having a UK Masters or MD in Cardiology does not lead to being recognised as a Consultant Cardiologist. These university degrees are not a part of the UK Consultant Cardiology training pathway, although they can look good on your CV.

What is your long-term goal?

Before you can set out on our journey, you really need to determine your long-term goal. This is the step that many IMGs skip and end up taking a sad long winding road.

So before you continue reading, pause for a minute to answer this question: what do you want to get out of coming to the UK?

There are 3 main choices when it comes to clinical work:

  1. Become a recognised UK Consultant Cardiologist 
    • Whether you want to stay in the UK long-term or migrate elsewhere after, is up to you.
  2. Work long-term as a Cardiologist in the UK without becoming a recognised Consultant
  3. Complete a UK Cardiology fellowship/gain UK experience then return home

What is the answer for you?

By answering this question early on, you can save yourself the wasted time and money spent following a pathway that does not lead to your end-goal.

Other options

Of course, there are other options such as pursuing a career in research, medical education, pharmaceuticals, hospital management etc. However, these careers are not covered in this article. This article, and the entire Savvy IMG blog for that matter, deals mainly with clinical careers.

How to reach your long-term goal

The good thing about the UK, is that the pathways are flexible and there are a lot of options. But that is also why it is so confusing.

Here I’ll go through each of the 3 possible long-term goals in more detail.

Goal #1 – Become a recognised UK Consultant Cardiologist

If you want to be recognised as a Consultant Cardiologist in the UK, and be eligible to apply for  permanent Consultant posts in the NHS, you need to be on the GMC specialist register.

You can enter the specialist register via 3 possible routes:

  1. CCT
  2. CESR-CP
  3. CESR

These 3 routes differ by how much of the UK Cardiology training pathway you complete.

CCT Route

This route involves completing the full 8-year UK Cardiology/GIM training pathway. This means you complete both core training and higher specialty training in the UK.

Upon completion of the programme, you will be awarded a dual Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) in Cardiology and GIM.

The CCT route is best for new graduates and those who have not already completed postgraduate training in Cardiology.

Click image to enlarge

Core training options

You have a choice of 2 core training programmes in the UK for the CCT route:

  • Internal Medicine (3 years)
  • ACCS Acute Medicine (4 years)

It’s really up to you which one you choose depending on the type of training you wish to have. Before you enter Cardiology training, you need to pass all parts of MRCP.

Higher specialty training

Whichever core training programme you choose, you will then apply for ST3 Cardiology/GIM. Although core training is now 3 years long instead of the previous 2 years, so it will be probably be called ST4 Cardiology/GIM in future.



If you complete the 5-year UK Cardiology/GIM training programme, but do not complete core training in the UK or internationally accredited equivalent, then this is known as the Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration Combined Programme (CESR-CP) pathway.

However, at the end of training, you will still be awarded a CCT in Cardiology.

This route is most suitable for those who already have some postgraduate experience.

Click image to enlarge

Core training alternatives

On the CESR-CP route, you can skip UK core training if you already have the equivalent experience overseas, or if you decide to obtain core training experience in the UK outside of the official core training programmes.

The minimum requirements include:

  • Minimum 2 years post-internship experience in adult medicine (this must include a minimum of 12 months managing acute medical inpatients)
    • This is likely to change to 3 years for 2022 applications due to core medical training being extended to 3 years.
  • Alternative Certificate of Core Competence
    • This is a document to certify you have the equivalent skills and knowledge of a doctor who has completed the official UK Internal Medicine training programme.
    • Having a valid Core Competence certificate confirms that you have Foundation competences as well, so no separate Foundation competence form is required.
  • MRCP

Higher specialty training

Once you complete the above requirements, you will be eligible to apply for Cardiology training along with those on the CCT route who have completed an official UK core training programme.

CESR route (AKA Article 14)

If you do not complete any part of the official UK Cardiology residency programme, you can still be recognised as a Consultant.

This is achieved by submitting proof to the GMC (ie. documentation), that you have the equivalent experience and training of someone who has completed both UK Core training and UK Cardiology training. This experience and training can be from overseas, from the UK, or a combination of the two.

If accepted, you will be awarded a Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration (CESR) for Cardiology.

This route is most suitable for those who have already completed postgraduate training in Cardiology.

Click image to enlarge

CESR route (AKA Article 14)

If you do not complete any part of the official UK Cardiology residency programme, you can still be recognised as a Consultant.

This is achieved by submitting proof to the GMC (ie. documentation), that you have the equivalent experience and training of someone who has completed both UK Core training and UK Cardiology training. This experience and training can be from overseas, from the UK, or a combination of the two.

If accepted, you will be awarded a Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration (CESR) for Cardiology.

This route is most suitable for those who have already completed postgraduate training in Cardiology.

Click image to enlarge

What documentation do you need to provide for CESR?

The GMC has specific guidance about what documents are required for CESR. You can find the guidance here:

Related: How to become a UK specialist without entering a UK training programme – the CESR route


In the UK, all 3 pathways – CCT, CESR-CP & CESR – are viewed as equivalent. You will be recognised as a UK Consultant Cardiologist via any of these 3 routes.

But please be aware that this may not be the case overseas. Some countries do not accept CESR as equivalent to CCT, so if you plan to migrate after becoming a UK Consultant, be sure to check with the medical authority of that country first.

Goal #2 – Work long-term as a Cardiologist in the UK without becoming a recognised Consultant

Not all doctors aspire to work as a Consultant, the responsibilities are significant and some doctors find the role unattractive.

If you don’t want to become a Consultant, rest assured that you can still work as a Cardiologist in the UK with decent pay and a good work-life balance.

You can apply to any position you feel you are qualified for according to your previous experience and the job description. Potential job titles include clinical fellow or specialty doctor.

It is also possible to apply for locum consultant jobs. Locum consultant posts do not require you to be on the GMC Specialist Register.

Whatever job you start with, you can always seek promotion with the same employer or apply for more senior positions as you gain more experience.


UK doctor titles 101

The best first jobs for overseas doctors in the UK

This is possible. Most Consultant Cardiologist in this position go through the CESR route.

Goal #3 – Complete a fellowship in the UK then return home

Many doctors wish to gain experience and training in the UK in order to better serve their patients back home. If this is something you’re interested in, there are a few ways to do this.

The main programme available to match you to a job is the Royal College of Physicians Medical Training Initiative. It is designed for IMGs who have some medical training experience but have not yet completed their cardiology training.

Take note that Cardiology is a very popular specialty and there may be few to no places. We recommend contacting RCP MTI first about the likelihood of getting a Cardiology placement before applying.

Read more about the programme here:

There are some hospitals that provide fellowship training in Cardiology subspecialties. These are aimed at doctors who have completed some Cardiology training and wish to subspecialise.

In order to apply, you need to contact the responsible Consultant to find out if there is a vacancy and request an application form.

You can look for fellowships here:

  1. Visit the NHS Jobs website
  2. Search “Cardiology fellow” or “Cardiology ” and identify the doctor jobs
  3. Apply to jobs you like and are suitable for

If there is a specific Consultant who you would like to do a fellowship with or a specific centre that you would like to gain experience at and you can’t find a job opening anywhere, it’s worth sending a direct email to inquire about a possible fellowship.

Be sure to include a well-formatted up-to-date CV and a convincing cover letter about why you want to work with them and how you can be an asset to them as a fellow.

You still need GMC registration to work in the UK as a doctor even if you don’t plan to stay here long-term. To gain GMC registration for a fellowship, you can use any of the methods discussed below under the GMC registration section.

The registration you gain is permanent and will not be revoked after your fellowship ends.

To obtain a visa to work in the UK as a fellow, there are 2 options:

  1. Tier 5 temporary work visa (maximum 24 months in the UK on this type of visa) – this is done through RCP OR
  2. Tier 2 standard work visa (no maximum period) – this is done through the hospital you’ll be working at

After completing your fellowship training and gaining UK experience, you simply return home after the job contract ends.

Cardiology residency in the UK

Core training programme structure

There are 2 options for core training in the UK: Internal Medicine, and Acute Medicine.

Internal Medicine

  • Year 1-2: Currently known as CT1 & CT2. 
    • Your work responsibility will be set at junior-grade or SHO level. You will rotate through medical specialties such as Cardiology, Respiratory Medicine, Oncology etc.
  • Year 3: This is new but is likely to be called CT3 or IMY3. 
    • This is when you step up to middle-grade or registrar level. You will continue rotating through medical specialties but you will have more clinical responsibility compared to Year 1-2.

Acute Medicine

  • Year 1-2: Currently known as CT1 & CT2.  
    • You will rotate through acute medical specialties such as Emergency Medicine, Acute Internal Medicine, Anaesthetics, and Intensive Care Medicine
  • Year 2-4: It’s not clear how these years will be designated. 
    • These 2 years will be the same as Year 2-3 of Internal Medicine.

In most programmes, you will stay in the same hospital for the duration of core training, but it is possible that you will have move to a hospital within the same region between each year.

Related: How specialty training (residency) works in the UK: A complete beginner’s guide 

Higher specialty training Cardiology programme structure

Once you complete core training, you can then apply for Cardiology training. This will now be combined with General Internal Medicine Training and will last 5 years.

  • First 3 years: Core Cardiology training
  • Last 2 years: Advanced sub-speciality training. This can include adolescent and adult congenital heart disease, advanced rhythm training, heart failure, imaging, or interventional cardiology. It is possible to combine some of the five areas but not all.

Most programmes involve rotating to different hospitals every 6-12 months.

You will be paid a salary while you are training.

Related: How much do doctors in specialty training (residency) earn in the UK?

Applying for core training

Whether you decide to apply for Internal Medicine Training (IMT) or Acute Medicine (ACCS-AM), the entry requirements are the same. The first year of a core training programme is designated CT1 for Core Training 1.

The basic requirements for both core training programmes are as follows:

    • Full GMC registration by the time you start CT1.
    • 24 months of clinical experience by the time you start ST1. For IMGs, this can consist of:
      • OPTION A: 2-year UK Foundation Programme
      • OPTION B: 1 year internship overseas + 1 year UK Standalone FY2
      • OPTION C: 1 year internship overseas + 1 year UK WAST
      • OPTION D: 1 year internship overseas + 1 year in any hospital-based acute specialty whether in the UK or overseas (UK experience is recommended)
    • Foundation competences

These are the basic requirements. Please see each programme’s ST1/CT1 person specifications for the full requirements.

There are experience limits for Acute Medicine. If you have more than 18 months post-internship experience in any medical specialty by the time you start CT1, then you will be deemed overqualified.

There are no experience limits for Internal Medicine. 

Passing all parts of MRCP does not make you overqualified to apply for core training.

Competition is typically expressed as a ratio. This is calculated by the number of applicants divided by the number of available posts.

Eg. If there are 50 posts for Internal Medicine, and 100 applicants, then the competition ratio is 2.

Here are the competition ratios of the 3 programmes over the past 5 years:

Internal Medicine & ACCS Acute Medicine1.701.531.411.501.43


I would consider a competition ratio of less than 2 as having low to moderate competition, between 2-4 as highly competitive, and a competition ratio of more than 4 as extremely competitive.

For timelines, portfolio/CV requirements, and information about interviews, please visit the official websites:

If you have any questions about applying for core training, please email the relevant recruitment office:

Applying for higher specialty training (proper Cardiology)

Because Core Medicine used to be 2 years long, starting Cardiology training was technically the third year of training and therefore it was termed ST3. With the new 3 year-long Internal Medicine programme, it’s likely that this will change to ST4. For now, we’ll call it ST3 until it is officially changed to ST4.

CCT route

  • Currently in the final year of one of the accepted core training programmes or have previously completed one.
  • MRCP

CESR-CP route

    • Minimum 2 years adult medicine including minimum 12 months managing acute medical inpatients
    • Alternative Certificate of Core Competence
    • MRCP

These are the basic requirements. Please see the ST3 Cardiology person specifications for the full requirements.

One of the eligibility criteria for ST3, is that you are not already eligible for CESR Cardiology.

So if you already have extensive training and experience in Cardiology, eg. more than 10 years, it’s possible that the panel will decide you are overqualified for training. If this happens, you may be deemed ineligible for ST3 but we’ve not heard of this happening in real life.

Competition is typically expressed as a ratio. This is calculated by the number of applicants divided by the number of available posts.

Eg. If there are 150 posts for Cardiology, and 300 applicants, then the competition ratio is 2.

Here are the competition ratios for ST3 Cardiology over the past 4 years:



I would consider a competition ratio of less than 2 as having low to moderate competition, between 2-4 as highly competitive, and a competition ratio of more than 4 as extremely competitive.

For timelines, portfolio/CV requirements, and information about interviews, please visit the following links:

If you have any questions about applying for Cardiology, please email the recruitment office:

Is it difficult to get into UK Cardiology training?

Cardiology is considered highly competitive and used to be closed to IMGs unless you could find a way to work around the immigration rules. 

However, as of October 2019, immigration laws changed in a way that meant that UK graduates are no longer prioritised for training posts. This means that IMGs will be considered alongside UK graduates and the only determining factor of success, is the application score.

Related: 9 ways the new Shortage Occupation List affects IMGs dreaming of UK specialty training

How do I improve my chances of success?

Although Cardiology is competitive, it’s not impossible. As mentioned in the introduction, 17% of doctors in Cardiology training posts are currently IMGs. (Source)

To succeed with your application, you’ll need to maximise your application score.

There are 2 components to the application score:

  • Your CV/portfolio
  • Your interview performance

Do well in each of these areas and you will have a decent chance of landing a spot. Having 6 -12 months of experience in Cardiology prior to applying is a big plus as well. It looks good in your application and it will help you do well in the interview.

Related: 8 tips to succeed when applying for UK specialty training

GMC registration

So now you’ve decided on your long-term goal, you need to think about how you’re going to gain registration with the General Medical Council (GMC).

The GMC are the medical authority in the UK. To work as a doctor here, you need to be registered with them. There is no exemption to this no matter how much experience you have or where you come from. Every doctor working in the UK needs GMC registration.

How do you obtain GMC registration?

You’ll first need to create a GMC online account. You can find instructions on how to open an account here.

You’ll then need to submit an application for full registration. These are the requirements for an application:

  • Proof of English proficiency (IELTS, OET or other)
  • EPIC verification of your medical degree
  • +/- EPIC verification of your MRCP/ Overseas qualification (if you have one)
  • +/- Internship certificate (if going through the PLAB route)
  • +/- Certificate of good standing (if you are registered as a doctor anywhere else in the world)

Read more about the requirements for GMC registration in detail here.

On top of the above requirements, you need to provide proof of your clinical skills and knowledge. There are several options to do this for Cardiology:

The PLAB exam is set at the level of a doctor who has completed internship. It is most suitable for IMGs who have not yet completed postgraduate training in Anaesthesia, however, it can also be taken by those who are already specialists. In most cases, it is the quickest and least expensive route.

MRCP (Membership of the Royal Colleges of Physicians) is a postgraduate qualification for doctors who have completed a residency or specialist training in Internal Medicine. If you hold MRCP, then you can bypass PLAB.

If you apply for a job first without any of the above exams or qualifications, and you are accepted, then you may be able to bypass PLAB and gain GMC registration through the RCP sponsorship via the Medical Training Initiative (MTI).

You can gain GMC registration without PLAB if you hold overseas qualifications in Anaesthesia from the following places: Ireland, US, Australia & New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka, West Indies and the European Diploma.

If you have already been practising as a specialist for many years, you can try applying for direct recognition as a Consultant via the CESR route. This is a difficult and tedious process that can take years to complete, but it’s an option for IMGs who do not go through any of the other routes mentioned above. You can read more about it below under the section “Become a recognised UK Consultant Anaesthetist”

Finding a suitable first job

There are 2 main questions to consider when looking for a suitable first job.

  1. Do you have the right training and experience for the job?
    • You will find detailed information about the roles and responsibilities of the job in the job description. Read these carefully to decide whether you are suited for the post.
  2. Will it lead to your long-term goal?
    • There is no point working in a job that will jeopardise your long-term goal.
    • It is best to clarify during interview whether a job will be supportive of your plans for CCT, CESR-CP, or CESR.


Recommended first jobs if you want to become a UK Consultant Cardiologist

You need to make sure you meet the 12-months post-internship requirement by the start of ST1 or CT1 in order to be eligible for core training. The options are Standalone FY2 or any non-training job at SHO level in any acute hospital-based specialty.

The important thing here is to make sure you meet the requirements for a core training alternative. You will also need to make sure that the job you work in, will provide opportunities to demonstrate all the skills listed in the Alternative Certificate of Core Competence. You will this certificate when applying for Cardiology.

If you have 1-2 years of experience after internship, you can look into SHO level jobs. If you have more than 2 years of experience you can either apply for SHO level jobs then step up to registrar level jobs after 6 months or so, or apply for registrar level jobs with an agreed initial adjustment period.

Related: The best first job in the UK for overseas doctors

If you have already completed Cardiology training overseas, you can apply for posts such as senior clinical fellow, registrar, and specialty doctor.

If you have worked as a specialist for many years, you can even apply for locum Consultant jobs. GMC specialist registration is not required for locum Consultant posts, only permanent posts.

It is best to work in a department that is supportive of your plan to pursue CESR. CESR is a long and tedious path that is almost impossible to succeed without the support of your workplace. Clarify whether a department will be supportive during the interview.

Visas and immigration

Most IMGs will need the General work visa (Tier 2). With this type of visa, you can bring your family to the UK as well. Family means spouse and children. It does not include parents, siblings or other relatives.

After 5 years in the UK on a Tier 2 visa, you can apply for permanent residence AKA Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). After one year with ILR, you can apply for British citizenship.

In short, the majority of IMGs who come to work in the UK, can gain British citizenship within 6 years.

You might also like

26 Responses

  1. Hi I have Completed MBBS MD and 2 years of DM cardiology one more year left
    I wanted to Know how do I Get access to fellowship in Cardiology.
    I wanted to get special one on one training regarding how to start applying

  2. After doing M.D. General Medicine in India, and passing all steps of MRCP, can I get into ST4 of Cardio/GIM or will I need to start lower?

    1. Hi there, as long as you meet all the eligibility requirements then you can apply for ST4 cardio/GIM. The main eligibility requirement you need to familiarise yourself with is the alternate certificate of core competences for group 1 specialties. Please review that document as well as the official website for all the requirements and the application process

      If you are looking for one-to-one guidance for your specific personal circumstances, you might be interested in booking a session to discuss your options. For more details, please visit our page here.

      Best of luck!

    1. Yes, please see our Useful links page under the heading “Specialty recruitment (residency applications)” and click on the first link “Person specifications”. For Cardiology, look for Cardiology ST4. For core medical training, look for Internal Medicine Training CT1.

    1. Hi, it should, although some interventional cardiologists may complete an additional fellowship year after the 5 years.

  3. Hello !
    If I have MRCP and complete Internal medicine residency training outside the UK. Can I apply for ST3 cardiology? 5 year cardiology training in UK Does it include interventional cardiology ?

    1. You will need to sign the Alternative Core Competence certificate to be eligible. Part of that certificate requires that you have NHS experience or the person signing your form has had at least 6 months NHS experience in the past 5 years. So it’s unlikely you can apply for cardiology before getting some UK experience first.

  4. Hello! Thank you for this detailed article.
    I have completed two and a half years of post-graduate training in the Internal Medicine Department in a greek hospital included experience as a resident doctor in the Emergency Department for 2 or 3 days per month and ten months of training in the Covid-19 department after the SARS-Cov-2 pandemic. I intend to join Cardiology training in UK, however I don’t know where to start. Is my history experience thought to be equivalent to a UK internship or foundation training and if yes could I apply directly for a core training position? Is it thought to be equivalent to UK core training ( 2 out of 3 years in internal medicine)?
    Your answer and your guidance would be really helpful for me.
    Thank you in advance.
    Best regards,

    1. Hi there, is this your only experience after graduating from medical school? UK graduates need a minimum of 5 years experience to apply for Cardiology so if you only have 2.5 years, it would probably only be considered equivalent to Foundation training and you would need to apply for Internal Medicine Training UK. I recommend contacting the ST3 recruitment office with your details to check eligibility. Good luck Anastasia!

  5. Bundle of thanks for such an informative article. I’ve one question in my mind that if someone is a graduate from Pakistan, done his MBBS, than internship, than he completed all three parts of MRCP UK (part 1,2 and paces) by living in Pakistan, than he got his GMC registration after IELTS or OET, and than he want to apply for ST3 in Cardiology, my question is will he get both CCT in Cardiology and General internal medicine (GIM) after completing 5 years from ST3 to ST8? Is this a CCT pathway or it’s necessary to do core training from UK before MRCP? If one has done MRCP outside UK then..
    Your guidance and response Will be highly obliged
    Ehsan, MBBS

    1. Yes, you will still get a CCT but it is the CESR-CP pathway. The CCT pathway involves completing core training in the UK.

  6. Hello !
    I am working consultant internal medicine doctor ( completed 3 years course of internal medicine in india ) in india..I have not completed mrcp yet.
    I would like to join the cardiology residency programme in uk.
    How should I start the process ?

  7. Hello,
    I am a graduate with being board certified in IM and fellowship in general cardiology.
    If apply for a fellowship will they give me tier 2 or 5 visa?


  8. Hi ! Thank you veru much for all the information.
    I’m an Argentinian Cardiologist, who would like to start a fellowship in the UK.
    The website is not working. Do you know if it chenged the adress??
    Thank you very much in advance,


    1. Hi there, sorry we’re not aware of any changes made to the address. It may just be down for some time, best to try again another day. Hope it comes back!

  9. If I have mrcp and 10years experience in general cardiology and ccu is’t considered acute medicine experience also? Or I should go for acute medicine job first or GIM?

    1. Hi there, I would think it is accepted! If you require further clarification, please email the ST3 recruitment office for confirmation.

  10. GIM program is it after IMT that last for 3 years?
    How do recent fresh graduate IMG can get experience for 8 years to join the specialty? Does it mean after IMT, one has to work in non training job for another 5 years or how?
    Thank you for your clarification

    1. Dear Steve, GIM is after IMT. GIM is combined with Cardiology training making it 5 years after IMT, total of 8 years. Recent graduates do not need 8 years in order to join Cardiology training, they join the training programme which is 8 years long. Please see the CCT route.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Meet the Team

Hi, we’re Drs Nick & Kimberly Tan, the two IMGs behind The Savvy IMG. We write comprehensive guides, create courses, and provide one-to-one guidance to help other overseas qualified doctors on their journey to the UK.
We have scoured the official guidance to put these posts together, but we can make mistakes! If you spot anything that is incorrect, please get in touch and we’ll put it right.
Photo of Dr Nicholas Tan